Translate

Monday, November 14, 2011

This is a birthday?

So, it was my birthday yesterday. And what did I do?
Work! 
"This is not how I expected to spend a Sunday -- and your birthday!" my husband griped, after I spent hours on the computer, worrying over a Power Point.
How could this be? I 've left my job. I should have plenty of time
to play, to celebrate, to enjoy a birthday.
It was a command performance. Dale Mezzacappa, a  former colleague who now teaches journalism at Swarthmore, had a last-minute glitch in her class schedule and on Saturday afternoon, I discovered her email asking me to step in.
Yeah! A Challenge.  I left my job, in part, because I wasn't feeling challenged enough. Not creative enough. Putting together an hour-long class, with a tight deadline, was anxiety provoking and exactly how I like to get my juices flowing. Of course, I replied,  "Yes." How often will such opportunities come my way in my new life? That is the big question.
PS, At least I spent the afternoon staring at an oversized computer screen --the surprise present my three daughters and the men in their lives surprised me with.

2 comments:

Naomi said...

Now you can blog even more with your new monitor! Can't wait to read more. We love you!

Helen D. said...

Hi Dottie. Kudos -- you did it. Yes, there is life after the big career. The challenge is to figure out what it is -- and clearly you are doing it. Thanks for keeping us posted.
Best, Helen (Dennis)