Translate

Monday, July 29, 2013

Bruce Thornton-- Still Loud and Clear at Amtrak


At Amtrak's 30th Street Station this morning, I saw -- or rather I heard -- Bruce Thornton, the Amtrak announcer with the basso voice.
A year ago when I met him, he was counting the months to  retirement. “I don’t want to be a honeydew,” he had told me, as in “Honey, do this! Honey, do that!”
As soon as he saw me, he grinned and said, "I've got 11 months to go!”
What will you do? I asked.
“I’m going to work mornings for USAIR,” he replied, a job he had mentioned last summer. Unlike so many of us, some people walk a very straight line into their next great thing, never doubting their choice.
I’ll try to talk with him a year from now and see how his transition is going.
I hope it will involve his wonderfully deep voice and that he’ll keep articulating “in the King’s English,”  just the way his high school teacher coached him to do.

No comments: